West End Place
Pine and Brackett Streets, Portland
A four story residential building with thirty-nine apartments and a thirty-four space parking garage was proposed for a partially empty and neglected corner in the West End Historic District. Prior to the design, a historic dwelling located on the lot was reclassified from a contributing building to non-contributing due to its deteriorated state.
Landmarks met with the development team and attended the workshop and public hearings held by the Historic Preservation Board. Landmarks encouraged the designers to blend the proposed building with its context and advocated for a design that reduced the building height and articulated the long façade on Brackett Street. The developer incorporated several of our comments into the final design approved by the Historic Preservation Board to reduce the building’s overall scale and enhance the pedestrian experience.
- Portland officials tout apartment project being built without tax breaks, other government perks Bangor Daily News
- West end apartment complex going up for approval Portland Press Herald
- Construction starting on upscale West End apartment complex Portland Press Herald
- West End Place westendplaceportland.com
What You Can Do
- Sign up to stay informed about advocacy, educational programs, and upcoming events.
- Support the advocacy efforts of Greater Portland Landmarks.