In December the Maine Supreme Judicial Court found the City Council had acted within their authority to rezone the parcel behind the Motherhouse to allow for higher density. In March the 1909 Convent and 1862 Academy buildings that comprise the Motherhouse were listed on the National Register of Historic Places. That same month the project received additional city funding support through the reallocation of federal funds from another project currently on hold.
Quietly work has begun on demolition of the buildings' interiors. Crews have been carefully removing and labeling interior woodwork that will be reinstalled after new insulation and mechanical and electrical systems are installed. On June 22 a ground breaking ceremony was held to kick-off the project's rehabilitation. Representatives from the Maine Girls' Academy (formerly Catherine McAuley High School) and the City of Portland helped Developers Collaborative and Sea Coast Management celebrate the official start of the rehabilitation of this significant local landmark.
Landmarks was delighted to help celebrate this first step in the building's new purpose. We congratulate all involved in helping to save these two historic buildings and provide affordable senior housing in Portland.